Thursday, January 31, 2008

AMP'd Rewind

Last night at AMP'd was...interesting to say the least. For the first time in my 12 years of student ministry I had to ask students to leave the worship center during the message. They were being very disruptive and being disrespectful. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but after much prayer and thought, I am confident it was the right thing to do. I have learned there is a fine line we have to walk as student pastors. The line between knowing that kids need to be at church and hear about Christ, and the line that says enough disrespect is enough. I want students to be here and experience Christ more than anything! But at the same time, they have to understand that God deserves our respect and reverence. We are in our worship series, so I have tried to explain that worship is simply placing value on something or someone. So, for a student to come to AMP'd and be disruptive and disrespectful shows me they are putting no value on who God is or what He wants to do in their life. This has been a very tough subject for me over the last few weeks, as I know we are reaching students that need to be here and find Christ. We have a ton of kids that come from tough situations, broken homes, drug abuse, parental neglect and who knows what else. It breaks my heart, and I just want these students to know that there is hope, and His name is JESUS!!!
Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. On a lighter note, here is the set list from last night:

Revolution-Hillsong United
Signature of Divine-Needtobreathe
Oh Praise Him-Crowder
Break Free-Hillsong United

Keepin' it Real,
Bholda

2 comments:

----------- said...

Ha! I fixed the link thing! I'm so good at this blogging thing that it's scary!

----------- said...

Ok, about this post... You did the right thing. It is one thing if a person chooses to not to listen to God, but it is quite another for that person's behavior to get in the way of someone else who is really there to receive spiritual nourishment. It's tough, I've been there, but look at it this way; THE Teacher kicked out the main religious leaders of His day from His class when they were just thinking disruptive thoughts, and I bet you didn't go as far as He did and call them "a brood of vipers". So, don't let it bother you, but do use it as a teaching example to the others.